[Stellenangebote] PhD positions in smart homes and healthcare (HEART: HEalth related Activity Recognition system based on IoT)

Marcus Edel marcusedel at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Fr Sep 29 12:25:50 CEST 2017

Dear colleague,

We are in the process of recruiting candidates for the HEART PhD position.
In order to find good candidates, I would be grateful if you could
distribute within your organization.

*        Topic: Privacy and security analytics

*        Objectives: In the domains of smart homes and healthcare, the
life of people is improved by devices that gather personal data and
process it, into relevant health information using third party smart
services and technology providers (e.g. cloud and Big Data analytics
services). While the use of IoT devices can bring advantages in terms of
efficiency, convenience, and costs, their use raises privacy concerns
regarding the users and their personal activity data. The sensitive nature
of this data and sharing it with a centralized server (e.g. cloud) raise
privacy concerns, even if the latter is well protected. These privacy
concerns can be addressed by using an end-to-end approach to privacy and
data protection and building systems with privacy embedded in the system
architecture, while coherently integrating health-specific privacy,
security and legal requirements.

*        http://ricerca.unimc.it/en/heart

*
http://ricerca.unimc.it/en/heart/HEART_callforapplication_final.pdf (page
14 for ESR4: Privacy and security analytics)

Philips has a long history of successfully introducing innovative products
to the market (lamps, CD players, TV's, medical imaging equipment,
equipment for patient monitoring, etc). Today, Philips is moving towards
connecting its products to the digital world, introducing new services and
integrated solutions based on digital technologies connected to the cyber
space. Therefore, Philips Research and Philips product divisions rely more
and more on digital security technologies which are playing a crucial role
in new Philips products, services, software and solutions. We are looking
for a top scientist with a strong computer science / mathematical
background to strengthen our competences in digital security and who can
help us to build and offer competitive trusted solutions and services in
Healthcare. The candidate will join the Data Science department of Philips
Research.
Philips Research is the source of many advanced developments in
Healthcare, Lifestyle and Technology. Building on 100 years of experience
in industrial research and our world-leading patent position, we're
dedicated to bringing meaningful innovations that improve people's lives.
We provide technology options for innovations in the area of health and
well-being, targeted at both developed and emerging markets. Positioned at
the front-end of the innovation process, we work on everything from
spotting trends and ideation to proof of concept and first-of-a-kind
product development. For more insights you can visit:
www.research.philips.com<http://www.research.philips.com>

The mission of the Data Science department is to lead Philips into the
Digital era through world-class innovations on data analytics and digital
security. The focus of the department is on advancing the automated
analytical methods used to extract new knowledge from data, as well as to
strengthen brand image by ensuring privacy as well as trustworthiness and
protection of digital propositions. The department builds on several
interconnected competences including data management, machine learning,
statistics, probability models, pattern recognition, data engineering,
security and privacy. We use the advances in the aforementioned scientific
disciplines, as well as new digital platforms to create innovation for
Philips businesses by real-time extraction of insights from various
sources like sensors, mobile devices, Web, and social networking sites.
Next to that, security and privacy are addressed and taken into account
already in the design phase of Philips digital propositions. The
department plays a crucial role in digital and data intensive research
projects using these competences.

Thank you in advance,

Best regards,

Milan

Prof. Dr. Milan Petković

Department Head Data Science
Philips Research
High Tech Campus 34
5656 AE Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Mobile phone: +31 6 26738137
Email: milan.petkovic at philips.com<mailto:milan.petkovic at philips.com>
Assistant: Odette Compen
E-mail: odette.compen at philips.com<mailto:odette.compen at philips.com>
Mobile phone: +31 6 15109301

The information contained in this message may be confidential and legally
protected under applicable law. The message is intended solely for the
addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that any use, forwarding, dissemination, or reproduction of this
message is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the
intended recipient, please contact the sender by return e-mail and destroy
all copies of the original message.