[PragmaticWeb] Which semantics?

Martynas Jusevičius martynas at graphity.org
Tue Feb 14 20:20:07 CET 2017

Sebastian,

I think it is useful to think about the merge operation between datasets.

Here I mean a "physical" merge, where records with the same
identifiers become augmented with more data, when multiple datasets
are merged together. A "logical", or "semantic" merge, with vocabulary
mappings etc., comes on top of that.

So if you take the relational or XML models, there is no generic way
to do that. With RDF, there is: you simply concatenate the datasets,
because they have a stable structure (triples) and built-in global
identifiers (URIs).

That said, you should try approaching things from another end: start
building a small but concrete solution and solve problems one by one,
instead of overthinking/reinventing the top-down architecture. Until
you do that, you will probably not get relevant advice on these
mailing lists.