[jacorb-developer] JacORB compatibility with Java 9

Nick Cross jacorb at goots.org
Mon Nov 9 11:12:47 CET 2015

On 06/11/15 21:39, Stout, Eric A. wrote:
> One of our developers went to the JavaOne conference last week, and
> attended a presentation on changes coming in Java 9.  One of those is
> the removal of something called the "Endorsed Standards Override
> Mechanism", whereby certain packages (mostly a bunch of CORBA-related
> stuff - javax.rmi.corba, org.omg.CORBA, other org.omg stuff) can be
> overridden by newer versions than are provided by the JRE.
>
> Does JacORB rely on this mechanism?  I observe that the
> jacorb-omgapi.jar contains many of those org.omg packages, but I
> don't know if that's related.
>
> Thanks, Eric

Hi Eric,

I am aware of changes upcoming in Java 9 although have not had a
detailed look at them. JacORB currently does provide newer versions of
the OMG stubs than are provided by the JDK. It uses either endorsed
standards or Xbootclasspath to override the JDK; failing that, the JDK
versions will be used. I would welcome any contributions to make JacORB
compatible with JDK >=9 ;-)

Thanks

Nick