[Stellenangebote] PhD Bioinformatics, Charité Institute of Pathology, Charité Campus Mitte

Dubois, Frank frank.dubois at charite.de
Fr Okt 20 13:02:15 CEST 2023

The Charité Institute of Pathology’s 3D Cancer Genomics Lab is looking for two highly motivated PhD candidates (one in bioinformatics and one in experimental biology) interested in investigating how cancer cells change the 3D genome to hijack gene regulation for aberrant expression of oncogenes from high-level genomic amplifications. The bioinformatics part of the project will involve whole genome sequencing and epigenetic analysis of several hundred tumor samples from breast and lung cancer patients. In the experimental biology part, we will model recurrent oncogenic changes to the 3D genome observed in these cancers using CRISPR-based approaches.

The lab is a young and dynamic group funded by a Max-Eder Grant of the German Cancer Aid and is located at the Institute of Pathology at Charité Campus Mitte. We have extensive experience in both computational and experimental approaches. The successful applicant will work closely with an international and interdisciplinary group, including clinicians, bioinformaticians, and biologists. The environment provides many opportunities to learn new skills, and we are deeply committed to excellent mentorship. A wealth of basic science and clinical collaborations in Berlin enable the pursuit of questions with translational potential. For more information, please see www.duboislab.org<http://www.duboislab.org> and feel free to reach out via email (frank.dubois at charite.de).

The general responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following activities:
• Bioinformatics PhD student: Analysis of sequencing data from short-read and long-read WGS, methylation, HiC, ATAC, ChIP, and RNAseq data starting from the raw data/ fastq files.
• Bioinformatics PhD student: Identify significantly recurrent genomic changes in cohorts of tumor samples
• Document progress, communicate and present analyses to the group, institute members, and collaborators verbally and in writing.
• Work with members of the group and collaborators as well as independently with respect to experimental design, data analysis, and visualization.

Your profile
- Bioinformatics PhD student: MSc in Bioinformatics, Data Science, Computer Science, or Biostatistics similar.
- Bioinformatics PhD student: Experience in computational biology (sequencing and data analysis, machine learning)
- Strong intrinsic motivation, scientific curiosity, organizational skills, and a strong interest in learning about novel technologies.
- Strong communication skills in written and spoken English.
- Being collaborative and proactive.

We offer a friendly, collaborative, and fast-paced environment that strives for scientific excellence, investigating clinically impactful questions, and developing each team member. We also offer a chance to affiliate with the CompCancer grad school <https://www.comp-cancer.de/> for the bioinformatics PhD student.
Please send your application as a single PDF file, including a cover letter indicating your research interests, potential starting date, a curriculum vitae, publication list, and contact information of up to three references to frank.dubois at charite.de.