[jacorb-developer] JacORB 3.6 race condition establishing connections to multiple clients simultaneously?

Stout, Eric A. stout6 at llnl.gov
Thu Mar 12 00:41:21 CET 2015

We've been running JacORB 3.4, but we're in the process of upgrading from Java 7 to Java 8, and we ran into a bug (BZ1002) that I found was fixed in JacORB 3.6.  So, I upgraded to JacORB 3.6, and ran into a different problem.

We have some places where multiple client processes send an object reference to a server, which holds onto them, and sometime later, calls all of them at once using multiple threads.  The problem is, sometimes the ORB decides to use the same connection for more than one of the client objects - in other words, some of the clients get called more than once, and some don't get called at all.

I have distilled this down into a pretty minimal test case, if someone from the development team (Nick Cross?) would like to have it.  However, the test case only reproduces the problem for me when the server is run on a pretty serious many-core Sparc-Solaris host, so I don't know if you have an environment in which to reproduce it or not.  I can include the test server output from a run that demonstrates the failure, as well.

By the way, the test fails with JacORB 3.6 under both Java 1.8.0u25 and 1.7.0u13.  The code on which the test is modelled works fine with JacORB 3.4 and either Java version.

Please let  me know to whom I should send the test code.  Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Eric Stout