[jacorb-developer] JacORB 3.3

shectman1 shectman1 at llnl.gov
Tue Sep 24 23:57:06 CEST 2013

On 09/24/2013 12:41 PM, Phil Mesnier wrote:
> Hi Timothy,
>
> There is a new section in the Programming guide covering integration with the TAO IMR. I think the capabilities related to the naming service are more implicit and just improve cooperation with the enhanced TAO NS.
>
> Note that the corresponding TAO features are only available in TAO 2.2.0 or newer, or the commercially supported OCI TAO 2.2a. OCI's TAO Developer's Guide 2.2a covers the new IMR and NS features in detail.
>
> On Sep 24, 2013, at 9:49 AM, Timothy Astle wrote:
>
>> In regards to the TAO ImR/NS compatibility:
>>
>>     - TAO ImR/NS Compatibility
>>         - Implement the new property "jacorb.use_tao_imr".
>>         - Support redundancy for failing over to a secondary ImR or a NS service
>>           when the current service is no longer available.  JacORB will iterate
>>           the profiles the ImR-ified IOR while attempting to re-establish
>>           conversations with the targeted ImR or Naming Service (NS).
>>         - JacORB is inter-operable with the TAO ImR by setting the new property
>>           "jacorb.use_tao_imr" to "on".
>>         - Add demo and integration test suites for TAO ImR, and TAO NS.
>>

>> Is there a written summary on this work?  It sounds like something that I could make use of.
>>
>> Currently we take the TAO NS and IMR .pidl files and have implemented some code to add, remove, update POAs in each service. I'm wondering if the enhancement in 3.3 allows for us to drop our own implementation.  (I didn't dig into the examples yet, but I am budgeting some time to do so...)
>>
> Take a look at $JACORB_HOME/demo/tao_imr.
>
> Best regards,
> Phil
>
> --
> Phil Mesnier
> Principal Software Engineer and Partner,   http://www.ociweb.com
> Object Computing, Inc.                     +01.314.579.0066 x225

I briefly tried this, but it didn't work for me.
Originally, we included the TAO IMR pidl file in our java builds, and were able to access the IMR successfully
prior to JacORB 3.3.

When I removed the IMR pidl derived class files, and set jacorb.use_tao_imr=on
we get a NoClassDefFound error in (shudder) our client side interceptor.

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: ImplementationRepository/CannotActivate
         at arac.corba.util.ServerRestartClientInitializer.post_init(ServerRestartClientInitializer.java:30)
         at org.jacorb.orb.ORB.interceptorPostInit(ORB.java:2147)
         at org.jacorb.orb.ORB.internalInit(ORB.java:2005)
         at org.jacorb.orb.ORB.set_parameters(ORB.java:1953)
         at org.omg.CORBA.ORB.init(ORB.java:354)

When we compile the TAO (6.0.1) IMR pidl into java, we get that class being defined.

So for now, I just punted and put using the JacORB interoperability on the back burner.

--

Robert M. Shectman

National Atmospheric Release Advisory Center (NARAC)
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory

shectman at llnl.gov
(925)423-6714