[jacorb-developer] jacorb as OSGi bundle - build option -Dno-rmi

Sofie De Cooman jacorb at sofiedc.be
Tue Jul 2 14:25:30 CEST 2013

Hi all,

Our application uses the OSGi framework.
Creating an OSGi bundle for jacorb from the standard jacorb.jar
results in the classloading issues as explained on
http://www.mail-archive.com/users@felix.apache.org/msg05408.html.
Resolving this for jacorb version 2.3.1 was possible by first
rebuilding it with option -Dno-rmi=true since we don't need rmi-iiop
support (this is also explained on
http://www.mail-archive.com/users@felix.apache.org/msg05438.html).

In jacorb 3.x versions however, this build option no longer seems to
be supported.
We are still able to create an OSGi bundle for jacorb by manually
adapting the org.jacorb.orb.Reference class (let it directly extend
org.omg.CORBA.portable.ObjectImpl), but I wondered it there was a
specific reason for no longer supporting this build option.
If not, would it be possible to introduce it again. Probably other
developers will bump into the same problem.

Thanks,
Sofie