[jacorb-developer] JACORB installation

Kai.Stolzki at diehl-bgt-defence.de Kai.Stolzki at diehl-bgt-defence.de
Thu Oct 11 17:05:23 CEST 2012

Hi ,
	Nick Cross wrote/answered to carine kemayou
	... downloaded a binary distribution. You should execute 'ant
scripts' to
	set it up. This should be documented in install.html. Please let me
know
	if it is not clear enough.
I'm afraid it isn't clear enough.
It was my expectation to an binary distribution not to build scripts.

[/jacorb-3.1/doc/install.html Chapter Installation]
	If you can't or don't want to use the jaco[.bat] start scripts, copy
orb.properties to JAVA_HOME/lib or edit the existing orb.properties file.
I don't know which script I have to start and what they will do. How do I
know ?
I didn't found "orb.properties" only a template
"jacorb_properties.template" and don't know what to edit.
As an beginner I don't really understand
	4.Edit jacorb.properties and copy them to your "home" directory.
Please use jacorb_properties.template as a template..
jacorb.properties? Where is it? What to edit? To what value ?
"home" directory? linux: /home/myusername/? What is it windows ? Even maybe
JAVA_HOME?

Another misleading I found in [ProgrammingGuide.pdf Chapter 4.7 Running the
Example Application]
	You can now launch the server:
	$ jaco demo.grid.Server
$ I think is promt for unix (just mention it "type at the shell prompt (>
for windows,$ for Linux))
I got the following error: jaco was not found  (Haven't rebuild jacORB )
My internet research found "JaCo" is an extensible compiler for the
programming language Java.
Another tool I asked me?
Just mention "execute batchfile jaco(.bat)" and "if it is not there
re-build jacORB with type ant in in shell in diretory xyz"

Now with ant I can rebuild jacORB (nice, easier than I thought, but not my
intension)
and the whole demo directory. :-) and can call jaco too

But:  :-(
D:\Projekte\ILEXX\JacORB\jacorb-3.1-source\jacorb-3.1>jaco demo.grid.Server
Fehler: Hauptklasse demo.grid.Server konnte nicht gefunden oder geladen
werden
(means Error: cant find or load main class demo.grid.Server )
Do I have to start it in a special directory or extend variables Path or
classpath?

My Background 20 years programming, mostly C , also Basic,C+
+,Pascal,Assembler, G(LabView) under OS2/Solaris/Linux/Windows
new (ca.2 weeks) in Corba/JAVA

In total: JacORB is a wonderful thing I think.
But beginners need an foolproof step by step guidance to get an working
example.
Unfortunally I spend more than a week to install JacORB, ant, JDK and
Eclipse
searching in internet for examples and still can't start a single example
with jacORB.
A little more and precise documentation and step by step checks would help
a lot.
An Eclipse Workspace with callable JacORB demos would be wonderful and
avoid
beginners frustration and reduce need for support.

Best Regards
and lot of thanks for all the guys writing and supporting SW like JacORB

Kai

autocreated E-Mail Appendix / automatisch erzeugter E-Mail Anhang

Kai-Oliver Stolzki

Diehl BGT Defence GmbH & Co. KG
Fischbachstrasse 16
90552 Roethenbach a d Pegnitz
http://www.diehl-bgt-defence.de

Telefon: +49 911 957 2168
Telefax: +49 911 957 3080
mailto:Kai.Stolzki at diehl-bgt-defence.de

Diehl BGT Defence GmbH & Co. KG
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Ueberlingen - Amtsgericht Freiburg i. Br. HRA 581075
Persoenlich haftende Gesellschafterin: Diehl BGT Defence Verwaltungs-GmbH
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Ueberlingen - Amtsgericht Freiburg i. Br. HRB 581694
Geschaeftsfuehrer:
Dipl.-Kfm. Claus Guenther (CEO),
Dipl.-Betrw. (BA) Thomas Bodenmueller,
Dr. rer. nat. Rainer Kroth,