[jacorb-developer] Delay in serial communication

Nick Cross jacorb at goots.org
Fri Jul 27 16:46:05 CEST 2012

Hi,

Reply inline...

On 27/07/12 15:28, Kujtim Hyseni wrote:

> Hi Rob,
>
> many thanks for your effort. I will implement your suggestions from
> this and previous emails such:
>
> # Use DNS names in IORs jacorb.dns.enable=off
>
> jacorb.log.default.verbosity=0
>
> What do these mean?

See the JacORB ProgrammingGuide

> By the way how do you measure the time you are mentioned you are
> getting it from ORB by applying jacorb.log.default.verbosity=0 or you
> use some code such timeAfterExec minus timeBeforeExec - can you send
> the code?

Note that any performance measurements should ideally take account of
'warm up time' and pre-establising connections. Ideally perform them on
isolated boxes with a dedicated switch.
Also, it very much depends upon what you are trying to measure - for
instance here are some considerations:
Size of the payload - while there is already an inherent size of payload
in a TCP message, the CORBA IIOP protocol will add to this.
Time - the time taken to marshal and demarshal your message, plus the
time taken to send and receive it (simplifying the process ;-) )
Configuration of the ORB e.g. enabling NIO, reducing logging etc.

Regards

Nick