[jacorb-developer] Delay in serial communication

Kujtim Hyseni kujtimhyseni at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 26 14:59:47 CEST 2012

> Kujtim (et al):
> In regards to Java and real time usages, for the non-RT implementation of Java, I can see some delays  on the order of microseconds
> or milliseconds, but IMO delays of seconds points to some other problem than garbage collection. I've used Java for many years to
> communicate with serial devices (using RXTX) and playing audio and other streaming data and have never had a significant delay issue
> in regards to garbage collection. (An easy way to see if garbage collection is an issue is to just increase your maximum memory to
> something large and see if there is any change. You can monitor the garbage collection in jvisualvm as well.)

I also think that there is no garbage collection problem. When I
communicate from Java stand-alone application there are no delays in
communication.

> This sounds more like a timeout from say attempting to communicate with DNS or a threading issue. If you take the serial port
> communication out of the equation, do you get millisecond responses from the JacORB side. (You should be seeing sub-millisecond

I don't know much about DNS, I am testing the application locally both server and client are in the same PC. About threading: the same structure of the application is as with the stand-alone example, think it is the thread based and the delay is upon the receiving the response in the public void serialEvent(SerialPortEvent event) method if you have used RXTX. Just to recall: serial communication class implements Runnable and SerialPortEventListener classes.

> Rob

Kujtim