[jacorb-developer] Why some operations use GIOP 1.0 instead of 1.2 ?

Steve Osselton steve.osselton at prismtech.com
Fri Aug 3 14:49:51 CEST 2012

Try setting the GIOP version in the corbaloc you are using for the name
service (it defaults to 1.0)
this is why the ORB is using 1.0, when it resolves your service from the
name space it uses a full IOR
which will have the correct IIOP version (1.2) encoded.

corbaloc::1.2 at localhost:11000/StandardNS/NameServer-POA/_root

Cheers Steve.

On 3 August 2012 13:17, Ravagli Virgilio
<Virgilio.Ravagli at ansaldo-sts.com>wrote:

> Hello everybody.
>
> I traced GIOP messages exchanged between Jacorb 3.0 Name Service and my
> apps.
> I use this code in my app (11000 is NameService's port):
>       Properties props = new Properties();
>       String corbalocNS =
> "corbaloc::localhost:11000/StandardNS/NameServer-POA/_root";
>       props.put("ORBInitRef.NameService", corbalocNS);
>       ORB orb = ORB.init( new String[]{}, props );
> org.omg.CORBA.Object obj = orb.resolve_initial_references("NameService");
> NamingContextExt nsRoot = NamingContextExtHelper.narrow(obj);
>
>       NameComponent[] nome = new NameComponent[1];
>       nome[0] = new NameComponent();
>       nome[0].id = "MySpace";
>       nome[0].kind = "";
>       obj = nsRoot.resolve(nome);
> NamingContext vs = NamingContextHelper.narrow(obj);
>
>       nome[0].id = "MyServerObject";
>       nome[0].kind = "Singleton";
>       obj = vs.resolve(nome);
> MyServer mySrv = MyServerHelper.narrow( obj );
>
> When nsRoot narrow is executed, a GIOP message is sent, and the Name
> Service replies; both messages are GIOP 1.0.
>
> Then, another couple of messages are exchanged, when nsRoot.resolve
> MySpace occurs: they are GIOP 1.0, too.
>
> When vs.resolve MyServerObject is executed, the two messages exchanged are
> GIOP 1.2.
>
> It seems as though the initial operations use GIOP 1.0, and the following
> ones use GIOP 1.2.
>
> Why don't all use GIOP 1.2 everywhere ? In my opinion, it would be far
> better.
>
> Thanks,
> Virgilio

CORBA/Software Defined Radio Delivery Manager
PrismTech Chief Architect

e-mail:  steve.osselton at prismtech.com
tele     +44-191-497-9905
web:     www.prismtech.com

PrismTech is a global leader in standards-based, performance-critical
middleware.  Our products enable our OEM, Systems Integrator, and
End User customers to build and optimize high-performance systems
primarily for Mil/Aero, Communications, Industrial, and Financial Markets.