[jacorb-developer] Why some operations use GIOP 1.0 instead of 1.2 ?

Ravagli Virgilio Virgilio.Ravagli at ansaldo-sts.com
Fri Aug 3 14:17:33 CEST 2012

Hello everybody.

I traced GIOP messages exchanged between Jacorb 3.0 Name Service and my apps.
I use this code in my app (11000 is NameService's port):
      Properties props = new Properties();
      String corbalocNS = "corbaloc::localhost:11000/StandardNS/NameServer-POA/_root";
      props.put("ORBInitRef.NameService", corbalocNS);
      ORB orb = ORB.init( new String[]{}, props );
org.omg.CORBA.Object obj = orb.resolve_initial_references("NameService");
NamingContextExt nsRoot = NamingContextExtHelper.narrow(obj);

      NameComponent[] nome = new NameComponent[1];
      nome[0] = new NameComponent();
      nome[0].id = "MySpace";
      nome[0].kind = "";
      obj = nsRoot.resolve(nome);
NamingContext vs = NamingContextHelper.narrow(obj);

      nome[0].id = "MyServerObject";
      nome[0].kind = "Singleton";
      obj = vs.resolve(nome);
MyServer mySrv = MyServerHelper.narrow( obj );

When nsRoot narrow is executed, a GIOP message is sent, and the Name Service replies; both messages are GIOP 1.0.

Then, another couple of messages are exchanged, when nsRoot.resolve MySpace occurs: they are GIOP 1.0, too.

When vs.resolve MyServerObject is executed, the two messages exchanged are GIOP 1.2.

It seems as though the initial operations use GIOP 1.0, and the following ones use GIOP 1.2.

Why don't all use GIOP 1.2 everywhere ? In my opinion, it would be far better.

Thanks,
Virgilio